How Can Sedation Dentistry Calm Your Dental Anxiety?
Posted by TANEGA DENTAL on Jun 7 2022, 04:22 AM
Dental phobia is a fear of visiting the dentist. This fear can have a negative impact on your overall oral health. You may skip routine dental visits, postponing them until your dental phobia is under control. Some patients may also avoid seeking treatment altogether. If you do struggle with dental anxiety, then sedation dentistry can help you.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the use of sedatives to help patients feel at ease during a dental procedure. Sedation allows patients to feel comfortable and relaxed during their treatment.
Types of sedation used in dentistry
There are three main types of sedation used in dentistry:
- Oral sedation - Oral sedation uses oral medication to help patients relax during dental treatment. Patients typically take this medication about an hour before their procedure, and it allows patients to be awake and aware of their surroundings without feeling anxious or nervous.
- Nitrous oxide sedation - Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a form of sedation that helps the patient relax during dental treatments. Nitrous oxide is inhaled through the nose and relaxes the patient before the procedure. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off quickly, so the patient is able to resume normal activities quickly.
- Intravenous (IV) sedation- IV sedation is administered intravenously, which means the sedative is infused directly into your bloodstream. With this option, you will sleep comfortably through your entire treatment with us, and you will have no memory of your procedure. This option is ideal for patients with moderate to severe dental anxiety.
- General anesthesia- Some patients need a deeper level of sedation, which is achieved with general anesthesia. General anesthesia is commonly needed for patients undergoing oral surgery, including when wisdom teeth removal is needed. General anesthesia is delivered by a certified anesthesiologist.
When is sedation dentistry needed?
Patients who are fearful or anxious about going to the dentist may find that sedation dentistry allows them the peace of mind they need to undergo the dental care they need. If any of these characteristics describe you, sedation dentistry may be a good fit for you.
- You are nervous about visiting the dentist.
- You have a low pain tolerance.
- You have trouble getting numb.
- You are afraid of the dentist.
- You have a sensitive gag reflex.
- You have a medical condition that doesn't permit you to sit still for a long time.
Patients who have dental anxiety or difficulty relaxing during procedures can benefit from sedation dentistry. Those with busy schedules may also benefit from sedation dentistry as it allows the dentist to perform several dental procedures in a single appointment.
Tanega Dental, located in South San Francisco, CA, is equipped with the best dentists and latest technologies. Call us at (650) 794-0203 and schedule an appointment with our family dentist.